Remembrance Day - Loans War Memorial Centenary
10:30: Short service in Loans Scout Hall
10:50: Walk to war memorial
11:00: One minute silence
11:10: Walk back to the Scout Hall for a cup of tea
It was just over 100 years ago that Loans War Memorial was erected in memory of the soldiers of Fullerton and Loans District who fell in the Great war of 2014-19. The memorial was unveiled by General Sir Charles Fergusson at a ceremony on 9 April 1922 watched by a large crowd of people from Loans and Troon together with a grand turn-out of Ex-service men, Girl guides, Boys Scouts and Boys Brigade who had marched from Troon to Loans Cross Road.
Sir Charles told the crowd that by coincidence at that very moment there would be a similar gathering in the town of Arras, France to unveil a memorial in memory of the 9th, 15th and 51st Scottish Divisions who had fallen there on 9th April 1918 at the first battle of Arras.
To end the Rev. J.H. Gillespie of Dundonald offered up a prayer of dedication followed by two minutes silence. The crowd stood with heads uncovered, the Ex-service men stood to attention while a distant pipe band played 'Flowers of the Forest' which grew fainter as they marched away.
It must have been a very moving ceremony.
Nancy McMahon of Loans, in her publication 'LOANS - An Ayshire Village in Peace and War' gives an exceptionally detailed history of the village and it's people.
The detailed list of names and background of those rememberd on the War Memorial is exceptional.