Loans Village Hall is community owned and managed by local volunteers. It is the hub of what’s going on in the village of Loans and a vital facility for our local community. It can also be hired by any individual or group on a regular or one-off basis.
There is a main hall with stage, a smaller meeting space, with modern kitchen and toilets, including accessible facilities. The size of the main hall is approx 80 square metres and can accommodate up to 70 people, depending on use.
Popular bookings include dance, yoga classes and the like. There are also regular social gatherings and special events. The hall can be hired for private functions, such as parties and weddings. Commercial lets are also available for training or conferences, by arrangement.
Contact us to arrange a let or find out about availability and costs:
Tel: 07444 549 968
You can download an application form to book the hall here
Interested in getting involved?
The village hall is run by a limited company with charitable status and six volunteer directors appointed by over 100 members. Anyone who lives in or near Loans can become a member of the company. Membership is free and there is no formal obligation to do more. But, importantly, membership shows interest in and support for maintaining the hall as a going concern. It also demonstrates to potential funders the extent of support the company has from our community.
Here’s how you can join our company
The hall relies on income from lets and additional fund raising sources. So it needs lots of people using it and help from volunteers to manage and maintain it and plan for the future. We want the hall to be used more and attract more users. There’s lots of potential to have additional activities for all ages and interests – it just needs people with ideas and the ability to organise.
Here’s are some examples of what’s involved:
- managing bookings, income and spend
- cleaning, opening and shutting the hall
- marketing and promotion
- organising special events
- keeping the hall properly maintained and repaired
If you are interested in participating or helping please contact us.
A Brief History of Loans Village Hall
- Loans Village Hall opened following local fund raising
- Run by Trustees and volunteers from the village
- The local authority took over management and maintenance responsibility
- South Ayrshire Council (SAC) invited the local community to take back responsibility as the hall was incurring a loss and there were insufficient funds to make necessary improvements
- Viability study commissioned
- Study indicated that, once upgraded, the hall could be economically viable. It recommended setting up a charitable company for the purpose. The company’s initial aim would be to establish a community
- management model and commission detailed architectural plans to improve the hall
- New trustees nominated to Loans Village Hall Trust to progress the proposal
- Loans Community Centre Ltd (LCCL), a limited company with charitable status established. Ownership of the hall transferred from the Trust to LCCL
- Financial support from the Lottery Fund and others, enabled the company to commission a website and architects to design improvements to the hall
- SAC continue financial responsibility and caretaker management of the hall
- Life in Loans website and Facebook page launched
- Planning Approval granted for architectural improvements to the hall
2015 – 2019
- LCCL took over responsibility for hall from SAC
- interior and exterior of hall painted
- new boiler installed
- new double glazed windows installed
- garden improved by volunteers
- new kitchen and toilets installed
- dangerous wall on Main Street repaired
2020 – 2021
- Hall closed to public following Covid 19 lockdown; reopened late 2021
What does the future hold?
Loans is a great wee village and the village hall is at the heart of our community. We want the hall to be a resource for the whole community and for many years to come. So, please support us and help in any way you can to realise the ambitions for our hall, our village and our community.